La Casona is a 16th-century colonial structure located in the historic centre of Cusco, built on a former military training camp of the Inca empire. Built in 1650 by the first Spaniards settled in the area, it still retains the regular shapes and geometries of the time, thanks to a 5-year renovation project undertaken by Inkaterra. The use of traditional methods and local materials faithfully respect its architecture and its original decorations, bringing the palace back to its former glory. The whitewashed ceilings still feature the original 16th century twisted beams; the stone columns and old carved wooden doors reflect the building's stability and its artisanal nature. Original murals, textiles, carpets and pre-Columbian ceramics enhance the beauty of the building. Throughout the centuries La Casona housed various historical personalities such as Diego de Almagro and Simon Bolivar and was occupied during the civil war by Juan Balza and Juan Alvarez Maldonado.